1- Legislative body
The General Conference (meets every two years) and the Executive Council (meets at least three times during each fiscal year).
2- Executive body
The Director-General (elected by the General Conference for a four-year term renewable only once) and the Assistant Director-General.
3- Technical departments
- Education Department
- Culture Department
- Sciences and Research Department
- Information and Communication Department
- Administrative bodies
- Office of the Director-General
- Secretariat of the Executive Council and the General Conference
- Management and Finance Department.
4- External bodies
- Arab Research and Studies Institute (Cairo)
- Arab Manuscripts Institute (Cairo)
- Arabization Coordination Bureau (Rabat)
- Khartoum International Institute for Arabic Language (Khartoum)
- Arab Center for Arabization, Translation, Authorship and Publication (Damascus)
Member States are connected to ALECSO through their respective National Committees for Education, Culture and Sciences, and through their permanent representatives to ALECSO.