This forum was launched by ALECSO as a contribution to building effective partnerships between education/scientific research and other sectors concerned with development in the Arab World.
The Forum brings together officials and decision-makers in Arab ministries concerned with education, research, industry, agriculture, planning and economy, along with representatives of Arab universities, training and research institutions, and (public and private) production and service companies. It provides an adequate framework for cooperation and complementarity, and enables the creation of appropriate mechanisms to align graduate programs and scientific research projects in Arab universities and research centers with the development needs and plans of Arab societies.
The forum is also an opportunity to attract Arab scholars and experts abroad and enable them to contribute to the transfer and localization of advanced technologies in the Arab countries, and to the establishment and implementation of their development programs.
The forum is annually hosted by member States on a rotating basis. The previous sessions were held as follows :
- 1st session (Tunis, December 20-22, 2013)
- 2nd session (Sharjah, December 19-21, 2014)
- 3rd session (Beirut, December 10-12, 2015)
- 4th session (Cairo, December 16-18, 2016)
- 5th session (Khartoum, December 18-21, 2017)
- 6th session (Rabat, December 17-19, 2018)
The forum aims to :
- Enhance the contribution of universities, scientific research centers, researchers and innovators to the promotion of Arab development;
- Strengthen cooperation between Arab ministries and bodies concerned with education, training and scientific research, and promote partnerships between universities and research/development institutions on the one hand, and production and services companies on the other hand;
- Encourage Arab researchers and innovators and connect them with specialized companies in order to convert their innovations into economic products and projects, and reach out to Arab scholars abroad so as to benefit from their experiences for the development of Arab countries;
- Foster the private sector’s role in supporting and financing scientific research activities in the Arab countries;
- Promote tools for developing Arab scientific publishing, and enrich digital Arabic content;
- Highlight successful Arab and international experiences, and enabling Arab countries and institutions to benefit from them.